2 gallon size bags of lettuce and 1 gallon size bag of spinach later, my harvesting is done for now. I hate to harvest before the plants' prime but I also hate losing my crop. So, I went to the garden and pulled them all up. I figure the onions should be able to survive the freeze. Maybe I am figuring wrongly but they are not big enough to harvest just yet.
The strawberry plants from last year may be lost, but they are sort of sickly looking anyway. I want to plant them in better soil next season. The dirt in my yard needs a lot of help. Raised beds are the answer. The one Fred built me for my birthday last year is perfect. The soil is soft and loamy. It holds moisture well and the plants love it. (They whispered it to me one morning). I'll add one every once in a while and build up the garden slowly.
I will be ordering more seeds soon and now I will be able to start fresh in March. Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I can't imagine how the real farmers must feel when the weather is uncooperative. I stress out about my little backyard garden. Maybe I shouldn't wish for more.
Now, I have to decide... chickens or no chickens. That is the question
My beloved - I am soproud of you and your garden. The leafy things are yummy and so are you.
ReplyDeleteChickens - hmmmm.
Bad - Chickens have to be fed, they poop all over everything, they stink, they're noisy.
Good - Chickens lay eggs, they sleep at night, they eat bugs.
To chicken or not to chicken - that is indeed a question.