Saturday, August 20, 2011

Fall Gardening

This morning I spent time in the garden cleaning up for the fall. The corn stalks are down, weeds are pulled, and irrigation drip system rearranged. I will have to spend some more time on the irrigation.  I know there must be a more efficient way to get the watering done.

My boxes are pretty much empty right now.  I have the last of the peppers ripening on the bushes, a square of carrots maturing and two squares of beans just beginning to sprout in one box and two eggplant bushes in the other box.  Today I planted lettuce, parsley and cilantro in that box. It has been such a mild summer I thought I would give these cool weather crops an early start.  I hope that doesn't mean that the weather is about to change to triple digits!

I'm disappointed with the pumpkin I planted.  It got plenty of blossoms but no fruit. Same thing happened last year. Maybe  I need to plant two vines together next year so they can pollinate each other. No pumpkins again this Thanksgiving :(

The melons are slow to produce as well.  I have no fruit from them but lots of blossoms.  The bees and wasps  are there in abundance but so far no fruit. The cucumbers are in a bad place this year. They are not happy with the sun exposure or the water drainage.  I'll have to find a new solution for them.  I can do another planting soon. They shouldn't mind the cooler weather.

Everything is slowing down, getting ready for fall. Fall is a busy time for me. Maybe I will only maintain one box of salad fixings.  The other spaces can rest for the winter until I get the bug again in the spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment